Prof. Ing., CSc. DSc.
born January 4, 1965 in Nové Město na Moravě
- Member of Learned Society since 2015
Education and professional carreer
- 1988, MSc. (Ing.) in Physical Engineering, Czech Technical University, Prague
- 1993, Ph.D. (CSc.) in Electrical Engineering, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague
- 2009, DSc. in Technical Sciences, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague
- 2009, Associate Professor in Quantum Optics and Optoelectronics, Charles University, Prague
- 2014, Professor in Quantum Optics and Optoelectronics, Charles University, Prague
Employment and academic positions
- 1993 – 2003, Research Scientist, Institute of Photonics and Electronics of the CAS, Prague
- 1997 – 1999, Research Associate, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
- 1999 – 2001, Research Assistant Professor, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
- 2001 – 2002, Research Associate Professor, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
- 2003 – 2009, Affiliate Associate Professor, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
- 2002 – 2012, Chair of Department of Optical Sensors, Institute of Photonics and Electronics of the CAS, Prague
- 2002 – 2012, Head of Photonics Division, Institute of Photonics and Electronics of the CAS, Prague
- 2009 – now, Affiliate Professor, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
- 2012 – now, Director, Institute of Photonics and Electronics of the CAS, Prague
Membership in selected domestic scientific bodies
- 2010 – 2014, Member of the Expert Commission for Technical Sciences and Engineering of the Research and Development Council
- 2012 – now, Member of Supervisory Board, J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry of the CAS
- 2018 – now, Chairman of Commission for Defending Doctor of Technical Sciences Theses in the field of Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Photonics, Czech Academy of Sciences
- 2018 – now, Member of Czech Technical University Scientific Council, Prague
Membership in selected International organizations and societies
- 2002 – now, Senior Member of IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- 2006 – 2010, Member of NATO Chemistry/Biology/Physics (CBP) Advisory Panel
- 2007 – 2015, Member of Editorial Board of Journal of Sensors (Hindawi)
- 2011 – 2017, Member of International Advisory Board of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (Springer)
- 2004 – 2018, Member of Editorial Board of Sensors and Actuators B (Elsevier)
- 2019 – now, Editor of Biosensors and Bioelectronics (Elsevier)
- 2003, Otto Wichterle Award, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
- 2006, Roche Prize for Sensor Technology, Germany
- 2009, Czech Head for Inventiveness
- 2011, Premium Academiae, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
- 2012, Fellow of SPIE, SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, USA
- 2014, Award for Outstanding Research, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, of the Czech Republic
- J. Homola (editor): Surface Plasmon Resonance Based Sensors, Springer, 2006.
- J. Homola: Surface plasmon resonance sensors for detection of chemical and biological species, Chemical Reviews, 108, 462-493 (2008).
- M. Piliarik; M. Vala; I. Tichý; J. Homola: Compact and low-cost biosensor based on novel approach to spectroscopy of surface plasmons, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 24 3430–3435 (2009).
- H. Šípová, S. Zhang, A. M. Dudley, D. Galas, K. Wang, J. Homola: Surface plasmon resonance biosensor for rapid label-free detection of microRNA at subfemtomole level, Analytical Chemistry, 82, 10110–10115 (2010).
- T. Špringer, M. Bocková, J. Homola: Label-free biosensing in complex media: a referencing approach, Analytical Chemistry, 85, 5637–5640 (2013).
- H. Šípová, T. Špringer, D. Rejman, O. Šimák, M. Petrová, P. Novák, Š. Rosenbergová, O. Páv, R. Liboska, I. Barvík, J. Štěpánek, I. Rosenberg, J. Homola: 5’-O-Methylphosphonate nucleic acids (MEPNA) – new modified DNAs that increase the E. coli RNase H cleavage rate of hybrid duplexes, Nucleic Acids Research, 42, 5378–5389 (2014).
- N. S. Lynn, J. Homola: Biosensor enhancement using grooved micromixers: part I, numerical studies, Analytical Chemistry, 87, 5516–5523 (2015).
- J. A. Jackman, B. Špačková, E. Linardy, M. C. Kim, B. Yoon, J. Homola, and N.-J. Cho: Nanoplasmonic ruler to measure lipid vesicle deformation, Chemical Communications, 52, 76-79 (2016).
- B. Špačková, N. S. Lynn Jr., J. Slabý, H. Šípová, J. Homola: A route to superior performance of a nanoplasmonic biosensor: consideration of both photonic and mass transport aspects, ACS Photonics, 5, 1019-1025 (2018).
- M. Bocková, J. Slabý, T. Špringer, J. Homola: Advances in Surface Plasmon Resonance Imaging and Microscopy and Their Biological Applications, Annual Review of Analytical Chemistry, 12, 151–176 (2019).