Prof., RNDr., CSc., DSc.
Born December 30, 1954 in Prague
- Mathematics – representation theory
- Member of Learned Society since 2017
Educational and professional preparation
- 1979 MSc. and RNDr. in Mathematics, received from Fac. Math. Phys., Charles Univ. in Prague (MFF)
- 1989 PhD. in Mathematics (specialization: algebra and number theory) from MFF
- 2004 DSc. in Mathematics and Physics (field: mathematical structures) from AS CR
- 1994 Doc. and 2009 Prof. of Mathematics (field: algebra and number theory) at MFF
Employment and academic positions
- 1981-1990 programmer, VUMS Prague
- 1990-1994 Assistant Professor, 1994-2010 Associate Professor, and since 2010 Professor at MFF
- Fall 1993 Visiting Researcher, CNR, Padova
- 1994/5 Postdoctoral Fellow of the Royal Society, Dept. Math., Univ. Manchester, UK
- Fall 1998 J.W.Fulbright Scholar, Dept. Math., Univ. California at Irvine
- Fall 2002 and 2006 Visiting Professor, CRM Barcelona
- Since 1990, numerous short term visiting appointments, over 100 invited lectures at conferences and seminars abroad
- Graduate course lecture series at Ohio Univ., Univ. Nanjing, Univ. Murcia, Univ. Almeria, Univ. Padova, Univ. Verona, et al.
Membership in selected domestic scientific bodies
- Member of the Czech Math. Soc., the Czech Committee for Mathematics (2010-4), and of the Scientific Coucil of MFF (1999-2002, and again since 2012)
Membership and positions in selected international organizations and societies
- Member of the Amer. Math. Soc., Member of the Editorial Boards of Archivum Mathematicum (since 2002), J. Algebra and Its Appl. (since 2010), and Rend. Sem. Mat. Univ. Padova (since 2010)
- Special award of the Czechoslovak Math. Soc. (1987), Czech Literary Fund Prize (1990), Prize of the Dean of MFF (2007), MFF silver medal (2012)
- J.Trlifaj: “Every *-module is finitely generated”, J. Algebra 169 (1994), 392-398.
- J.Trlifaj: “Whitehead test modules”, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 348 (1996), 1521-1554.
- P.C.Eklof, J.Trlifaj: “How to make Ext vanish”, Bull. London Math. Soc. 33 (2001), 41-51.
- S.Shelah, J.Trlifaj: “Spectra of the Γ-invariant of uniform modules”, J. Pure Appl. Algebra 162 (2001), 367-379.
- J.Šťovíček, J.Trlifaj: “All tilting modules are of countable type”, Bull. London Math. Soc. 39 (2007), 121-132.
- D.Herbera, J.Trlifaj: “Almost free modules and Mittag-Leffler conditions”, Advances in Math. 229 (2012), 3436-3467.
- R.Goebel, J.Trlifaj: “Approximations and Endomorphism Algebras of Modules”, de Gruyter Expositions in Mathematics 41, Vol. 1 - Approximations, Vol. 2 - Predictions, xxviii + 972 str., W. de Gruyter, Berlin - Boston 2012 (monografie).
- S.Estrada, P.Guil Asensio, M.Prest, J.Trlifaj: “Model category structures arising from Drinfeld vector bundles”, Advances in Math. 231 (2012), 1417-1438.
- L.Angeleri Huegel, D.Pospíšil, J.Šťovíček, J.Trlifaj: “Tilting, cotilting, and spectra of commutative noetherian rings”, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 366 (2014), 3487-3517.
- A.Slávik, J.Trlifaj: “Very flat, locally very flat, and contraadjusted modules”, J. Pure Appl. Algebra 220 (2016), 3910-3926.